Too much sunshine!
I've learned A LOT today!
Despite my light headache now, I had a great day with a great weather! YAY!
I was invited by my friend to this prof.'s house. He's quite cool! His house is pretty amazing with all of those antique goodies and pictures. He's my friend's photographer's prof, so now you knew why there are many artistic pictures at his house. FYI, on the way to his home, he asked, "So, you're not from Jakarta, are you?" and unluckily I answered, " Yes, I am!" (with wondering what is wrong with Jakarta)"
Thus, our good conversation started like this:
Him (H): I've been to Jakarta before in 1995. (I think it's '95, I forgot :p)
Me (M): Really? Jakarta? (Unsure since he said Jakarta, not Bali or anywhere more fun :p)
H: Yes! I went to Jakarta to Bali and to Irian Jaya.
M: Wow! I've never been to Irian Jaya before!
H: Ya, just crazy people who will do that.
M: (laughing) haha, crazy people. So, what did you do then?
H: Actually I was wondering how Chinese people live over there.
M: Really? Wow, that's.... (take me a long time to find a word) interesting!
...
And we talked a lot how Indonesians who have Chinese heritage change their Chinese family's name into more Indonesian's name due to discrimination in Soeharto's era. Then *my light bulb is on* I remembered my friend who had the same story of his last name. He has a Chinese heritage from his dad's side and his dad wanted his last name getting through the generation and on and on. And when the prof asked me why my friend's father gave his name like that and what the meaning was, I just had no idea!

BTW, the prof loves fishing! He showed us his fishing "lab" and told some of his fishing stories. He said that fishing taught him a lot and I agreed with him (after I listened to his story). He talked about delta, river, and how he found out that his dad passed away from fishing. Sad story.
I kept thinking about the question he asked me and to find the answer, I called his mom (since I am kind of closer to his mom :p). Then, it ended up she told me everything that he perhaps doesn't know about 'em! haha :D She told me why they picked his name and what another name would be (it's Abraham and I was laughing so hard when I heard it!). Moreover, she told me about her husband's family getting through the discrimination and all of other stuff in his life! I just amazed, like totally amazed! Couldn't tell the detail here, but that sentence keeps popping out in my head: I amazed!
That was a good conversation and I also called my grandparents. I miss them so much! But I'm glad they're doing good :)
P.S. I think my light headache is because I got too much sunshine! I am so excited for the sun-shining day and was outside a lot! (It's 80 F today! love it!)

Comments
Post a Comment
TADA!